Saturday, August 2, 2008

To Zebra or Not to Zebra

The Zebra design trend has me on the fence. While I appreciate the look and the instant update Zebra's bold stripes can give to a room I still find myself having to push aside thoughts about the dead cow pelt adorning the floor. Not that I don't already have leather in my home. This is merely more blatant.


photo courtsey of Horchow

What do you think? Go wild with Zebra or put to pasture?


photo courtsey of Domino

Interior designer Schuyler Samperton's free spirited West Hollywood home. (This Zebra is actually an authentic family heirloom purchased from a Hemingway's Gallery.) I'm not cool enough to own a rug from a Hemingway but I did go to university with a Heminway (no 'g'). David and I visited in him in his hometown of Monaco. His godmother was Grace Kelly so it leaves some suspicion that he is actually related to the Hemingways. That leaves me with shades of coolness. Appologies for the digression.

Another sidenote: notice the fabulous Bennison 'Dragon Flower' curtains.



photo courtesy of Domino

My friend and very talented up and coming designer Margaret Ann McEver of MALI Design own Houston home.

2 comments:

betty said...

check out west elm's zebra accessories. we have a zebra print rug (not skin) because i had the same issue. and i wanted something that could take milk, kid wear and tear, etc. with no tears from me. ;)

Betsey said...

One of my friends has a zebra room in her daughter's room. It keeps the very pale pink walls from being too frilly/girly & gives it a funky edge.